Job summary –
Support the business group's profit, growth and operational objectives by performing advanced actuarial analyses in: reserving, reporting, business planning and research/support. Provide consultation to senior managers and other managers and staff regarding actuarial, finance, planning, and other analysis for areas impacting the business. May manage a staff of Associates, actuarial students, analysts and/or other staff. Manage or participate in projects designed to improve the quality of reserving and reporting for the business.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities –
• Lead key elements of the regular review and analysis of GI reserves for Ireland and report the “Actuarial Central Estimate” to Reserve Committee, advising on issues and making recommendations where appropriate.
• Provide business and market context to Group on performance and reserve adequacy of the business.
• Perform and/or supervise complex and creative actuarial analysis.
• Responsible for calculation of S2 technical provisions and co-ordination of QRT/NST regulatory reporting for the company.
• Contribute to strategic thought on efficient delivery of Reserving & Reporting requirements, e.g. Solvency 2 and IFRS17, develop Reserving strategies in line with business targets and risk appetite.
• Build key internal and external stakeholder relationships and manage the integration of the department with others so as to deliver a better service to the business.
• Help to develop and deliver key large-scale Actuarial projects including international initiatives.
• Act as an escalation point for complex technical queries, ensuring effective and commercially sound resolution.
• To support other actuarial and financial management activities as required, including capital planning and broader operational support to Claims and Underwriting.
• Supervise the day-to-day operations for the reserving unit by establishing priorities, scheduling, and assigning work. Use the objective setting and performance evaluation processes to ensure employees understand the expectations, receive regular feedback, and are appropriately developed and rewarded. Ensure adherence to policies, procedures and objectives. Deal decisively with performance and/or conduct issues.
• Manage key internal and external stakeholder relationships and manage the integration of the department with others so as to deliver a better service to the business.
• Proactively research and evaluate the external market to identify risks and opportunities for the business, including appropriate tools and databases.
• Lead the team, ensuring the appropriate people strategy is in place to develop the capability and expertise of the people in the team and foster a strong process and customer culture.
• Assist in developing departmental policies and procedures.
• Provide consultation to senior managers and other groups on issues such as reserving, regulatory pricing, rates and related matters, the development and use of pricing models/tools, business planning, contingency plans or other financial studies.
• Identify data requirements and quality issues for analysis, tool development, reporting and decision making; Ensure the organization uses them effectively and enhance capabilities to reach profit and growth objectives.
• Quantitative Bachelor's or Actuarial Degree required.
• Professional actuarial or other relevant professional qualifications required.
• Fully qualified Actuary with 2-4 years post-qualification experience.
Knowledge & Experience –
• 4+ years of progressively more responsible experience in a non-life actuarial role.
• Previous Reserving experience for short and long-tailed lines of business (Ireland/UK ideally).
• Practical experience of Solvency 2 requirements including the calculation of Technical Provisions and SCR.
• Deep understanding of the business and general insurance industry, including knowledge of interactions between Financial, Underwriting, Claims, Legal and Risk departments and potential impacts on actuarial work.
• Good working knowledge of regulatory environment, professional standards and codes.
• Experience of working in a multi-cultural or cross-border organisation an advantage.
• Experience of working within a framework of legal and company policy procedures and guidelines.
• Knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese would be an advantage.
• Highly motivated professional to deliver consistent high performance.
• Strong IT skills, knowledge of key GI actuarial modelling packages (including ResQ & Igloo) an advantage.
• Excellent planning and organisational skills, highly skilled at managing own workload and team objectives.
• Manage stakeholder expectations effectively. Able to influence / negotiate with others to achieve solutions.
• Strong analytical skills with solid understanding of all casualty actuarial reserving techniques, standards, and assumptions. Stochastic modelling experience an advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to exchange ideas and convey complex information concisely, verbally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization.
• Ability to write professional actuarial reports and presentations to senior management and other stakeholders.
• Ability to coach and develop staff members.
• Management role: Ability to lead and get work done through others. Ability to communicate and influence at senior management level.
• Good understanding of project management disciplines an advantage.
For more information please contact Paul at 016099404 or email@example.com.
Acumen Resources specialises in the recruitment of the following professionals:
Chief Actuary | Head of Actuarial Function | Actuarial Director | Actuarial Function Holder | CRO | CFO | Actuarial Manager | Valuations Actuary | Product Development Actuary | Pricing & Reserving Actuary | Solvency II Actuary | Life Insurance Actuary | General Insurance Actuary | Non Life Actuary | Pensions Actuary | Investment Actuary | Capital Modelling Actuary | Capital Management Actuary | Risk Management Actuary | Enterprise Risk Management Actuary | Newly & Nearly Qualified Actuary| Part Qualified Actuary | Trainee Actuary| Actuarial Trainee | Student Actuary | Actuarial Graduate