A junior trainee actuary is involved in a wide range of both actuarial and consultancy projects. Key duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Provide actuarial support to senior members of the team.
- Processing calculations for actuarial valuations, transfer values, etc
- Analysing, checking and processing membership data for actuarial purposes.
- Assisting with the development of systems and spreadsheets to cope with changes in pension’s legislation and practice.
- Deal with routine queries received from clients, scheme members, third parties.
- Attend client meetings, seminars etc.
- Reporting to the qualified actuaries and senior actuarial students on a regular basis.
The following skills, experience and knowledge are required for this role:
- A sound mathematical background is essential, preferably with experience in the financial sector. With a 2:1 degree in a numerate or semi numerate subject.
- Excellent planning and organisational ability in order to prioritise and complete work in accordance with deadlines.
- Good analytical skills and ability to work though tasks in a logical manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team with rapidly changing priorities and demands and build strong working relationships with your peers, and senior colleagues.
- Strong IT skills with good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Excel.