The Corporate Actuarial and Risk Management department plays a leading role with key responsibilities in technical valuations, actuarial modelling, experience analysis and assumption setting, capital modelling and risk management.
Reporting to the Head of Valuations, as part of the Valuations team within Corporate Actuarial, the Valuation Actuary will perform quarterly valuations of the UK business and provide timely, accurate and insightful analysis of the financial results to a range of stakeholders. The successful candidate will supervise and direct the work of junior colleagues and help drive the business forward by challenging and improving established ways of working. The role is also involved in regular project work whereby you will help develop the systems, tools and actuarial techniques to optimise the valuation process.
Critically, the role will require you to use your training, expertise and natural curiosity to identify, develop and implement solutions to address new and emerging challenges. To do this you will need to be resilient and flexible, able to apply your knowledge and skills to novel challenges in an evolving operating environment, and work with colleagues from diverse backgrounds across the business.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Produce the Company’s quarterly actuarial valuations for UKGAAP, IFRS, German GAAP and Solvency II reporting bases. Deliver high quality results to agreed timelines.
- Prepare and run models and validate the output. Apply critical judgement to challenges as they arise
- Compare the reserves to the forecast and understand the reasons for variance.
- Communicate the drivers of financial results for internal signoff, group reporting, regulators and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure that reserving data, methodology, practices, models and assumptions are suitable and in-line with the relevant rules and principles. Consider the appropriateness of any simplifications applied in the calculations of the technical provisions and document the relevant bases.
- Identify, develop and implement changes to the methodology, process or systems to improve the efficiency, accuracy or reliability of the valuation output.
- Work with colleagues across the Corporate Actuarial department to implement assumption changes into the valuation results and support other analysis work.
- Support wider Corporate Actuarial work, such as capital modelling, systems and process change, and risk management activity
- Help deliver Corporate Actuarial and wider company projects, and complete or delegate ad-hoc requests in a timely manner.
- Nearly or newly qualified actuary